Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A BRIDGE BETWEEN TWO WORLDS

A few nights ago, I went to see a well-known spiritual medium who was in town speaking to a large auditorium of people.  I have never been to see a medium before, and up until the past year, never really gave much thought to anything related to the spiritual world or what happens after death.  However, since my mother's passing a year ago, followed by my aunt's death soon after, I've thought more about these issues than I ever did previously. Therefore, when I heard the medium was coming into town I decided to see for myself what it was all about.

Besides being interested in this topic because of my own personal loss, I also have many clients that attend therapy because they are grieving.  Some of these clients are children and some are adults, but regardless of their age, they all have one thing in common.  Everyone seems to be looking for some sort of peace.  As I sat in the audience the other night at the event, I was moved by some of the stories of loss that I heard.  I was also impressed, and at times astonished, at how the medium was able to provide valuable information to the loved ones of the deceased. Her words not only gave clarity for the audience, but also seemed to provide much comfort to those to whom she transmitted spiritual messages.

After leaving the event, one thing that continued to stay on my mind is the idea of loved ones wanting to have some sort of closure, as well as the feelings of regret for not having had the opportunity to say their goodbyes.  If you've read earlier blog entries of mine, you may recall the one entitled "If Today Was Your Last Day", which addresses the issue of not knowing when our last day will come, or our loved ones' last day, and trying to make the most of life while we can.  For example. we should try to make sure that the people in our lives know their importance to us.  With this in mind,  I often make a point of telling my children that I love them every single day, and often multiple times a day.  Since I only have them with me fifty percent of the time, I always make sure that I speak to them on days I don't see them.  I have learned the hard way that you never know when it may be your last chance to tell someone how you feel or to say goodbye.  I have discussed this in other blog entries as well, but I believe it is always worth repeating.  If we live a life of true connection to others, then whenever the end of life comes, we will be ready to embrace it, and to let go.

As I sat in the auditorium and listened to everyone who wanted closure regarding their loss,  and wanted the comfort of knowing that their dearly departed were at peace,  I considered the message we all have been told in multiple ways throughout our lives.  As Emily Dickinson wrote, "Unable are the loved to die.  For love is immortality."  This, of course, leads me to the whole point of this blog entry. Our loved ones stay with us even after they are gone.  They are in our hearts, and on our minds, and therefore never too far away.  Whether or not you believe in their spirit being available to you, or whether you believe they simply live on in memory, the idea is still the same.  There exists a bridge between two worlds.  You and I, and all the other living people, are the bridge between life and those we have lost.  Don't forget those that have passed on.  Honor their memory in whatever way you see fit.  In addition, while you're still here on earth, don't wait to live the life you want.  Don't wait to let others know how you feel. Do it now.  Today is a gift, and tomorrow is not guaranteed.  Although it irks me to have to quote him, John Mayer said it well in the lyrics: "Say what you need to say. It's better to say too much, then never to say what you need to say again."  Even if you missed your chance to tell a loved one how you feel, and they are no longer alive, you can still let them know what's in your heart.  They might be listening after all.  




No comments:

Post a Comment