Wednesday, November 19, 2014

THE SUPERHERO WITHIN

As a child, I was never really interested in superheroes.  My only participation with anything related to superheroes was my special handshake with my sister.  It came from The Wonder Twins from the show Super Friends.  The Wonder Twins were a brother and sister duo who were superheroes-in-training.  Their powers were activated when they touched each other and said "Wonder Twin power activate!"  My sister and I would alter this phrase to say "Sister power activate!" To this day, when something happens and we need to feel that bond, we remember those words from our childhood.   Now that I am an adult, the topic of superheroes is primarily relegated to conversations with my own children.  Last year for Halloween, my daughter dressed up as SuperGirl and I dressed as SuperMom. We made a good superhero team, and it was also a way for us to feel close and connected, just as my sister and I would always try to do.  

This past summer, a song was released by The Script entitled Superheroes.  Here are some of the lyrics from that song:

"When you've been fighting for it all your life,
You've been struggling to make things right.
That's how a superhero learns to fly,
Every day, every hour, turn the pain into power.

All the hurt, all the lies
All the tears that they cry.
When the moment is just right,
You'll see fire in their eyes.
Cause he's stronger than you know,
A heart of steel starts to grow."

These lyrics are a reminder of how overcoming obstacles leads to strength and empowerment.  I will gladly admit, I am not a superhero.  Although, in my daily life I sometimes feel I'm expected to be one.  I have obligations to my children, my family, my friends, and my clients.  Sometimes I wish I did have super powers to juggle it all effortlessly.  While I may not be able to fly, or be invisible, or have x-ray vision, I do try my best to face challenges head on, with courage and confidence, just like you would expect any superhero to do.  I am proud of my accomplishments.  Yet, I am human.  I am not perfect. At times I struggle, and at times I make mistakes.  I've been through many life challenges and I believe I have come out on the other side...stronger, wiser, and more appreciative of the life that I lead.

As a psychologist, I spend my days showing compassion and trying to provide guidance for the struggles that my clients face in their own lives.  I try to help them to be their own superhero in the story of their life.  A good example of how I view my clients comes from Christopher Reeve, who stated, "A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."  So, when the road of life gets rocky, go ahead and find your inner superhero.  Stand tall and face the problem with whatever mortal powers you possess. You are stronger than you know.  While you're at it, go ahead and tell those you care about how proud you are of their strength and perseverance as well.  Like the Wonder Twins characters, we need to stick together and support each other to make the tough times easier.

"She's got lions in her heart, a fire in her soul,
He's got a beast in his belly that's so hard to control.
Cause they've taken too much hits, taking blow by blow.
Now light a match, stand back, and watch them explode."

 As the lyrics above suggest, the more adversity we face, the stronger our power within us becomes.  It's just a matter of finding the spark that ignites our inner superhero.  And then, watch out, because anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment